PoshMom Editorial Team
Creative Ways to Make the Holiday Celebrity Chic
One very good reason to be thankful during the holidays is being able to spend time with your family and friends. And one way to show your thanks to guests who have come from near and far is with these perfect take-home gifts. Bouquet Box founder and lifestyle/Hollywood DIY expert Courtney Sixx shares how to show gratitude with favors inspired by the holiday season and are much simpler to make than a holiday feast—with wrappings that are equally festive too.
Sweet Apples Treats
Dress up a seasonal favorite:
1. Spray-paint store-bought skewers in a metallic copper shade.
2. Insert skewers into the top of washed deep red apples with stems removed.
3. Partially dip apples into hot caramel (so as not to completely cover the beautiful red hue); place on greased wax paper to cool.
4. Spray glue the cap of acorns (will need two per apple) and then sprinkle with gold glitter.
5. Hot glue two acorns onto a piece of twine; let dry.
6. Tie twine around base of skewer by apple top so that acorns are atop apple and let ends of twine hang down.
7. Set out on a serving tray with a framed note inviting guests to take one to go.
A Turkey Dessert
Create a chocolate and gold flanked version of the expected dish.
1. Melt chocolate discs in a double boiler, or create your own with one of Courtney’s favorite tips: Boil a couple of inches of water in a large stock pot, place a heat proof bowl filled with chocolate on a cookie cutter set in center of pot (this raises bowl just enough out of boiling water).
2. Pour melted chocolate into turkey mold, using a wood skewer to ensure chocolate has reached all the crevices of mold design.
3. Let cool and remove from mold.
4. Paint tail of “turkey” with edible gold shimmer that’s been melted with white chocolate discs. Display in compote with straw “nest” and festive bow tied at the vessel bottom.
Gather smells of the season.
1. Sew maroon tulle bags with a matching ribbon tie and festoon with dramatic cord and lace trims to fill with mulling spices.
2. Fill each bag with equal parts allspice and cloves.
3. Slice fresh ginger and zest orange peels, then place in oven to dry.
4. Add all to bag, then add cinnamon sticks.
Create a centerpieces that does double duty at the favor table with autumnal colored fruits, fauna and flowers.
- Hydrate floral foam and place in footed compote or use floral tape to follow grid for arranging.
- Arrange red and orange roses and hydrangeas; color block roses in bunches as you create the display.
- Use store bought barbecue skewers to skewer three to four red apples (we like macintosh or honeycrisp) and arrange among the flowers.
- Collect fallen leaves in varying autumnal shades and arrange in display.
3M Tacky Glue, crystals, filler, turkey molds, boxes, paints, glitter, cardstock, tags available at Michael’s.
All fabrics and trims available at JoAnn’s Fabrics.
Frame and compotes available at Home Goods.